07 August 2012
- By the end of 2011 there were 81.6 million mobile phone accounts in the UK.
- At the beginning of 2012 94% of the UK adult population had at least 1 mobile phone; in 2000 the figure was 36%.
- The average Briton sends 50 texts per week. In 2011 150 billion text messages were sent.
- At the end of the first quarter of 2012 39% of adults owned a smartphone.
- The number of mobile voice minutes has grown by over 250% in the past decade and in 2011 for the first time mobile voice minutes exceeded the number of landline line voice calls (52%).
- Overall there has been a 5% decline in the amount of time spent talking on the phone as people move to text based forms of communication.
- Tablet ownership has risen dramatically from 2% of UK households at the beginning of 2011 to 11% of households at the beginning of 2012.
- 74% of tablet users say the use the device to go online every day.
- Each UK household owns on average 3 different internet enabled devices.
- By the end of March 2012 76% of UK households had a broadband connection.
- In January 2012 there were 39.7 million domestic desktop computers or laptops able to access the internet.
- According to the Next Generation Users: the internet in Britain report 60% of British internet users in 2011 use online social networking sites, up from 49% in 2009, and 17% in 2007.
- Users of social networking by people under 25 has stabilised at 90%.
- Facebook now has 901 million active users worldwide in 2012.
- In March 2012 there were 125 billion “friend” connections worldwide on Facebook.
- Facebook was the most searched for brand on the internet in the UK in 2011.
- 50 million Twitter users log in each day and the average number of tweets per day is around 230 million.
- The UK is the 2nd biggest Twitter country by population (USA has the biggest). 7.87% of Twitter users are based in the UK.
- In March 2011 14.7 million people in the UK accessed social media or blogging sites from their mobile phone.
- In May 2011 54% of mobile users of social networking sites looked at the sites on a daily or near daily basis.
- Youtube accounts for 1 in every 35 UK internet visits.
- 10% of Uk adults now (2012) have an e-reader up from 3% in 2011.
- Those aged 35-44 years are most likely to own an e-reader.
- 41% of e-reader owners claim to have read more since they purchased their device.
Television and audio visual
- 9.3 million flat screen TV’s were purchased in 2011 that means 1 in 3 households purchased a new TV in 2011.
- In 2012 the majority of homes (96.2%) have multi-channel digital TV in their homes.
- 45% of the main TV’s in UK households are connected to a DVR.
- Viewers currently watch 4 hours of TV a day.
- 2.9 Million internet enabled TV’s (smart TV’s) have been sold since 2010.