Resources on marriage
The Evangelical Alliance has been centrally involved in campaigning to resist the government's drive to redefine marriage.
Though we regret that parliament's passing of the Same-Sex Marriage Bill marks a change in what we believe is the ideal when it comes to marriage, we are not disheartened. Because we absolutely believe that God is sovereign over all things.
We know however that many of our members and church leaders will be looking for practical guidance following the news; so this week we have produced a church briefing which is available to download.
Please be assured of our continuing commitment to promote a biblical view of marriage for our society, and to defend religious freedoms in light of the law changing. We will also produce a range of resources to help Christians to express their views about marriage and to help churches practise marriage freely.
You can find more details on the public policy work of the Alliance on the redefinition of marriage here.
How we responded to the plans to redefine marriage:
- The Alliance met with government ministers, MPs and Peers to present evangelical concerns.
- The Alliance became a founder member of the Coalition for Marriage and a member of the core campaign group.
- The Alliance made a submission to the government's consultation on redefining marriage.
- The Alliance contributed to numerous national and local media debates and discussions.
- Ahead of the debate and vote in parliament in early 2013 the Alliance provided a briefing for MPs to aid their contribution to the debate.
- The Alliance contributed evidence to the Committee Stage of the bill.
- The Alliance has provided prayer updates and regular briefings via PQ. All our articles on marriage are available online.
The Alliance has also produced a theological resource for church leaders, Biblical and pastoral responses to homosexuality.